Monday, November 25, 2013

Gobble Gobble!


The Ocellated Turkey in Tikal National Park
First off, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving here in the US.  It's a holiday of food, fun and a jump start to the holiday season.  For me, it's the beginning of another epic birding trek somewhere special.  Where will it be?  You'll have to stay tuned. But let's talk turkey.....

Merriam's Turkey on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Turkeys are amazing.  I love to see them in nature and in one instance, I was so focused on my photography that both Kathie and myself were surrounded by turkeys!!!


We had a good laugh as they approached us.  Attack of the killer turkeys!!!


I have been fortunate to see the other variety of turkey in Guatemala....the Ocellated Turkey!!


Wild Turkeys are making a huge comeback in the United States and their range is spreading little by little.  So many people take them for granted, but I remember a time when they weren't so common.  This bird had been wiped out from the landscape due to overhunting. Today the permits are strictly regulated in many states.


And even though I'm a birder,  I do enjoy the taste of turkey on Thanksgiving day.  Is that a bad thing?  If you are looking to try out something new and different with turkey, might I recommend a delicious soup from Guatemala called Kak'ik? It's seriously awesome and even writing about it now makes my mouth water. I'm a Spanish teacher and if you want some extra credit, try this Mayan dish out.  So if you have leftovers.....and who doesn't?.......might I recommend a little international fun to excite the taste buds.  


I've been a little slow on the writing and commenting this past month, but I assure you all that I have been reading your blogs.  I just haven't been commenting on them as much. Yes, I'm a turkey, but it has actually been quite nice to read all of your work like I would a newspaper. It's my daily lunch ritual.  I get my salad and sit down at the computer.  And then I read your work and thoughts:) No word verification or clicking boxes.....just reading.  I've also been on the road with Kathie a lot this month.  We've had great adventures across Southern Arizona and those stories will be told.....eventually.  But for now, it's time to relax and enjoy life....and the cooler weather again!  Happy holidays everyone! And don't forget to check out Wild Bird Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. Plus you've been very busy posting to the bird site.

    Happy Thanksgiving, wherever it may find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Chris - hope you have a great time :)

    Wonderful to see photos of Wild Turkeys and read how they are making a comeback :)

    Look forward to reading of your adventures with Kathie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love to see some wild turkeys trot through here...

    have a great holiday/trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting turkey talk! Look forward to hearing about your next adventure (and seeing what is in your backlog as well).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of all the turkeys. Enjoy your holidays but I would much rather have warmer weather for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting looking birds. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a great thanksgiving day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the turkeys shots, Chris! Perfect time for Thanksgiving week to show off your cool turkeys!
    I am glad you and Kathie are having a fun time birding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there were two Turkey species - reading blogs is both enjoyable and educative though. Enjoy your adventures, and I'll look forward to reading and seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turkeys are so interesting and have such personality!
    We've been lucky to once live where turkeys roosted in the trees behind our house at the time near a creek. We've even had one find us here in town. Poor thing was confused.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were so excited to see wild turkey on our farm the last two years! They are magnificent birds.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots. I have seen a lot of wild turkeys, but have never gotten a pic, they move too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving Chris!! Gobble Gobble.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your holidays

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!