Friday, September 30, 2016

Stepping Back To Move Forward


Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Gypsy again.  The way I began. And the way I'll continue from this point forward. 



Always in the shadows learning, but now wearing my invisible cloak for good. 



What once was unknown is now known. What once was new is worn. End of the line. 


5 years doesn't seem like a long time ago. But it has changed me in ways I never imagined.  Now I join "the others" who also have vanished from the public spotlight.  Africa, Australia, Fiji, Cape Verde, the Arctic, Argentina.........

Lincoln's Sparrow
I slowly move closer to a 1000 new species.  It is difficult.  When I see others with a total of 8000 or 9000 bird species, I am overwhelmed.  That is an incredible accomplishment.  


Belted Kingfisher
In October, I will say my good-byes to the AZ crowd one last time.  I am grateful for all the friendships and will maintain the ones I have.  For now, it's time to take a step back from their community.


Gray Hawk
Time to save money and plan for bigger treks. Time to train our future generations about saving our planet's species.  About protecting habitat. About making better decisions when it comes to our environment. And move forward. 


A woman once told me as a beginning birder, "The first two years are the most exciting because everything is new.  But then the game gets harder."  During my 4 years as a birder, it was all thrilling.  Then, during this 5th year, I felt a shift happen.  The game has gotten harder and my patience shorter.

Sage Thrasher in Box Canyon

While I am here in Tucson, I will enjoy the birds.  I will save the $$ and then on my time off, I will fly.  

Common Poorwill at Saguaro National Park
 But the crazy Arizona chases are done.  I crave solitude. No more calculated chasing.  Because that isn't birding.  It's playing a game.  And I'm not playing this game anymore. I just exploded after being surrounded by all the bird politics (and the who's bird was rarer crap.) I felt I had lost control creatively over something that I love.  Something that was once very much my own. I have taken it back again and it feels good. 


As you'll see, Las Aventuras is heading out for some fun along the ocean in a few short weeks. I'm looking forward to birding alone for awhile. As the weather cools down, the epic birding will start to take off!  So many stories to tell over the next several weeks....so stay tuned for more:)



10 comments:

  1. If I'm reading you correctly, Chris, and you're going to be heading back into just drinking in the wonderment of the birdlife (and other wildlife) that surrounds you, rather than chasing the rarities (do you call this 'twitching' over there too?), I think that's a great move, with less stress as well as less expense!

    Then, when your funds accumulate, you'll be able to have a different relaxed experience in far-away lands. Make sure you give a shout if your travels look like bringing you to UK!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! I will definitely let you know. It's not easy. But I'm sticking to the plan:)

      Delete
  2. And be sure to let me know if you head my way too, Chris. I'd enjoy sharing some Australian birds with you if you make it this far! Have a peek at my new blog to encourage you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will thank you!!! You know I will:) In a couple years...maybe sooner?:)

      Delete
    2. I forgot to put the new Blog address in! It's ttps://gettingtoknowbirds.blogspot.com.au.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been making big decisions Chris - the important thing is to continue to enjoy your birding whichever path it takes and I know you will. Don't forget to let me know if you ever decide to visit England :) Look forward to reading of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a strange year for me as a birder. I am hoping to make it over to England in the near future. And when I do, I look forward to meeting you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!