Monday, July 18, 2011

Phoenix Comicon 2011

Trying to tie the gardening part of my blog in with the convention.  This is Poison Ivy from the Batman series who loves plants above all living things including humans.  She's one of my favorite villains.  As we all  know, touching Poison Ivy can have some very itchy consequences:)
With one Comicon done and another to go.....the San Diego Comicon begins this weekend!!  We'll be there snapping pics.  I'm going to celebrate by sharing my love of all things space.  From my heart and from NASA, we will explore the universe and celebrate the adventures that lie ahead of us.....welcome to my blog.  Watch for updates this weekend from the San Diego Comicon and my daily posts from May's Phoenix Comicon.  So get your geek on as we explore space! This following write is from May 2011.


Greetings all,
As I sit here tonight thinking about how I am going to break down all this information over the course of several blogs, I am also needing to explain what you will be reading and why I feel it’s important to share.  Las Aventuras is a blog about gardening and travel.  It is going to look “spacy” and “science fiction” like over the next several days as I report on some really fascinating stuff.  In my mind, space is one of the great adventures that lies ahead and of course  that is what this blog is all about….adventure of the garden, travel, and imagination.  Dr. Williams, from ASU, gave an amazing lecture at the Comicon in Phoenix in May and I can’t wait to share that information with you all.  You are going to find articles in 3 primary categories…..the Adventures of Space, the Adventures of my Childhood(that which inspires me), and of course the Adventures of Gardening with a Sci-Fi twist.  I hope you enjoy this series of writes as I have from a fun filled weekend in May of fact, fiction, and discovery.    Let’s begin…..
Lightsabers from Star Wars
If you’ve  never been to a sci fi convention, it can be a bit of an eye opener.  As you look at the pics in this blog, you’ll see A LOT of people dressing up in all kinds of outfits.  I remember a time once during my high school years when I went to my first convention with my Dad.  We both had a good laugh as people with pointed ears and blue attenaes walked around us.  I met some of my childhood heroes growing up….Uhura(Nichelle Nichols) and Chekov(Walter Koenig) from Star Trek.  It was one of the most fun experiences I remember from my childhood.  And the best part was that my Dad was a good sport and came along for the fun.  This time, me and the better half, went together and had a blast.  You’ll see a lot of familiar faces on several of the blogs coming up.  We got to meet A LOT of cool actors and have a couple laughs with them.  Actors make up one part of the convention scene.  You’ll find a lot of legit scientists doing presentations from NASA  that will include many advisors from our national programs.
R2D2 from Star Wars
Bring plenty of money for this weekend event as it can get pricey with all the food, hotel, and “other” expenses that pop up.  The Phoenix Comicon comes once a year(generally around Memorial Day weekend), but there are other events that pop up from time to time….so keep your pointed ears openJ It's located at the Phoenix Convention Center with several hotels nearby. If you’re a fan of fantasy, comic books, anime, science, or science fiction,  you won’t want to miss this event.  Tickets can be purchased online as well as other special event items. I recommend you do this ahead of time so that you can avoid the lines and hassle of waiting. We also discovered that we need backbacks full of food and water to keep from passing out!  Stay tuned for more out of this world fun.  Las Aventuras is taking you up into space and beyond.  After that, we’re coming back to Earth and investigating the beautiful country of Panama!  Until next time, Live Long and Prosper!
Han Solo Frozen

Created from some vid I took.  Enjoy:)

2 comments:

  1. Love that pic of Poison Ivy--very colorful! I've never been to a sci fi convention...looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I go to the New Orleans Comic Con, held every year in January. Next year we're going to dress up like Han Solo and Princess Leia from Star Wars! Sci-fi conventions are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!