Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hiking Without A Camera

Today's post is unusual in that it is the first one NOT to use any pictures of any kind.  Boy, am I in trouble!!:)  So this means one thing......my writing has to stand out on its own.  Scary.  But the purpose of this exercise was to leave the camera at home and go on my treks without recording any of it. (It's a terrible idea for me not to post pictures on a blog! I kept moving this post off because I didn't want to release a post without pictures. I caved in and here is a recent photo shoot from the same area. My "new" thoughts are in parenthesis. )
For some of you, this is easy.  As for me?  It was one of the hardest things to do.  Could I just go on a hike without my camera?  Since I've been a kid, I've always had my camera with me at all times.  Would it be a valid experience if I didn't get the shots?  And Murphy's Law.  No camera=Lots of wildlife. (I now have found several shots to satisfy the reader:)

So I went for the hike and the minute I pulled into the parking lot, a Cooper's Hawk flies into sight. Yes, it was happening.  Lots of wildlife.  A coyote looking for food, three birds hanging out around the Coopers Hawk, Western Kingbird, etc. etc. etc.(Well, it's never the same, but I did get a Cooper's Hawk for you all....and a little bit more:)
But the weight of my camera wasn't there to prevent me from enjoying Mother Nature.  It was hot and a bit muggy, but the sun was setting.  I had a crazy day at work, stopped at Culvers for some fried cheese curds and got on the interstate.....passing by Sweetwater.  It was a spontaneous decision and one that proved to be wise.  (While it was nice, I can't let you down.  You need pictures!)
A cool breeze went through the willows and cottonwoods.  Little fuzzies from all the plants blooming floated around in the air.  Alone and relaxed, I took a walk around the trails.  There wasn't really anyone around, no rare bird sighting....nada.  It was kind of eerie actually because I'm used to my guy "friend" on the trail with me.  Well he doesn't know he's my bud, but I've decided that he'll be my friend.  You see....no matter what, I always head to Sweetwater on the weekend.  And my favorite quiet birder guy will be walking around with his binoculars and bird book.  He's also "the guy" because he drives an older bug.  Instant cool factor!  I don't know his name, but we speak once and awhile.(We were the only two there this night I shot these pics) 
Pied Billed Grebe-a first for this blog(you'll love the story related to this bird....stay tuned!)
The last time he asked me, "Did you see anything interesting?"  and I said "Yep."  But he saw more things than ANY of us did on the trails.  He is the ultimate observer.  I'll be looking over the basins lost in the sounds of the Red Wing Blackbird and he'll be secretly in the bushes observing unicorns and fairies!  How does he see this stuff??!!  Anyhow, I worship this guy and he doesn't know it.  (This time I saw PLENTY of interesting things....mostly not birds)
But today, he wasn't here.  I didn't have my camera.  It was wonderful and sad.  I kinda missed not having him around.....he's always there.  Just not today.  My question is, "Do you have these types of "connections" with people in your life?  So like this post suggests today, it's all about the absence of the familiar.  The Nothing.   But I did come home happier and relaxed.  (I'm still showing you pictures:)
Pictures will be back tomorrow.  I will never do a post without pics.  Why?  I'm too much of a visual person. Hope you enjoyed the shots today:) And more tomorrow.....

18 comments:

  1. well, i was trying hard to concentrate on your text, but 'fried cheese curds' completely took my mind! you can find fried cheese curds there?! my wisconsin heart is so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, an invasion of our people arrived from the land of cheese to escape winter . It was a warmer winter than usual but the cloudy skies drove the Culver Food Chain into Arizona with 2! of their famous restaurants from our home state. Transplanted Wisconsites, like ourselves, rejoiced at the second coming of the curd. It is now possible to have only fried cheese curds in 3 locations around town. Fresh cheese curds are still only found in Wisconsin.....unless I am unaware. But very little goes by me when it comes to cheese curds:)

      Delete
    2. fried cheese curds sounds truly frightening. How does it look? And taste (I can only think grease!) I love toasted cheese, but that has bread and, stuff, as well.

      Delete
  2. I hear you on photos, and hiking or driving w/ camera!!! My new goal...to see how many posts I can do with very few photos, and some catchy writing! Maybe to also name and file all my pics not organized?

    But like you, seeing all this nature around and then right into our cities, is awe-inspiring. Or maybe it was the fried cheese curds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still thinking about your garden tour today. What an amazing trip that must have been....I love to see how people organize their gardens. My place is definitely going to be a xeric oasis for wildlife and people. As for fried cheese curds.....yum! How can something so bad taste so good!!??

      Delete
  3. It does feel strange to take that walk without your camera. It never fails that if I'm out somewhere without mine, something notable happens. Not that I may have gotten any decent pictures, but I was robbed of the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel as well. There have been so many moments on my way to work that I didn't have my camera and wish I did!!! Coyotes, blooming things, monsoon event, etc etc...

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I will decide to leave my camera and just do some iPhonography. I always wish I had my camera. But then when I have my camera I sometimes start thinking what I would be doing if I just had my phone. Either way I'm never satisfied. I guess that's the woman in me. LOL.

    I am from So. Illinois and I know what you mean about missing family - doing lots of that this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Southern Illinois! There's really only two cool bits about the state. Chicago and the tip of Southern Illinois. Beautiful!!!

      Delete
  5. I feel naked without my camera when hiking, or just about anywhere. And have very few posts without photos. Thanks for adding these in. And hope the "guy" is back next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen him since. I feel oddly safe when he's there. If something went wrong on the trail, he'd be there to help. Or maybe it's just his volk bug parked on the gravel that makes me happy....I don't know. He's an older, but in shape, gentleman who is pretty savvy about things. Sometimes we'll be the only two people there. With this heat, it's important to have someone to count on. 2 people have died in the past week here. Very sad. Both were from out of town. One person had to be rescued yesterday because she walked a trail that she was not familiar with and ran out of water....and she was ALONE!!! Oh goodness. No matter how many times you tell people to be careful, they still do their own thing.

      Delete
  6. We are all so visual aren't we, and what a collection of wildlife you have seen that day.

    I love blogs with photos, even though my imagination can conjure up the needed stimulation visually, it's nice to see the photos.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every now I then I hike without a camera just for the sake of enjoying a different way of paying attention and I've never been sorry. Fried cheese curds? I'll have to try that sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super post Chris. Whenever I leave my camera at home I usually end up regretting it as there is often something special I would have liked to take a photo of. There are some places I visit though where I always take my camera and in the summer I may well just go along leaving camera and binoculars at home and take a book instead and sit and relax rather than rushing around taking loads of photos:)

    Fried cheese curds sound interesting by the way. Have never come across them over here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a brave man going into the wilderness without a camera!
    I enjoyed this post, and would've enjoyed your photo-less writing just fine too : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for a post! I've hiked many times in the past without a camera, but it wouldn't be as much fun now that I have a blog. I'm always thinking about how this and that scene would make a good picture and be a good idea for a blog post. Thank you for your pictures, because I'm a visual person, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chris, I don't think I could go on a nature hike without my camera. I guess taking photos is WHY I do it ---other than the fact that I just love being out in this world....

    We had a hard time on our hike yesterday due to the heavy rains. We need to find some rain gear for our cameras. Someone told me that we can get it... I'm going to check on it...

    Cameras and hiking in nature just go together.

    I know you will be glad when school is over for the summer.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be hard to go on a nature walk without my camera ... but I can see where it would be a good exercise. I tend to be a bit of a lazy photographer as of late ... shooting al the birds and critters visiting my backyard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!