Tuesday, July 24, 2012

High Humidity

Blue Mud Dauber.  Look carefully and you'll see that this wasp has captured dinner:)  It ran quickly into its nest under the trunk of a tree.  Very cool find!
Antsy.  Sick of getting stuck inside my home.  I escaped to Miller Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains where it rained.  Bear had been busy knocking down hummingbird feeders.  I searched for bear and hummingbirds and didn't find any of them.  Well hummingbirds I did:)  But I did discover so much more.....
A Queen Butterfly on a dead branch
Miller Canyon was severely burned by last years fires and isn't as green as the other canyons of the Huachuca Mountains, BUT there is plenty of growth coming back.  Many of the Mesquite trees that were burned have new growth near their trunks.   But again, I was thrilled to find a lot of insect life. These little critters grabbed my attention on our walk.
In the gray and very humid atmosphere, we could see shots of color.   Remember that plants with long tubular flowers are attractive to hummingbirds....especially ones with orange and red color.:) Perhaps this is why Miller Canyon is renown for all the hummingbird sightings. 
The Firecracker Bush
To get here, we went up a well graded dirt road and stopped along the way looking for hiding birds or coati:)  Eventually the road ends at Beatty's Guest Ranch. We parked there at the trailhead.  But a great place to spot one of a kind hummers is at this ranch.  They don't mind if you want to look for hummingbirds BUT you need to call ahead and DO NOT trespass without their permission.  Go to their website first and read:)  We didn't go here on this day because there was a lot to see around the canyon area.  We parked near their property and took the trail to hike up the mountain.  
Black Chinned Hummingbird
There was a lot that was burned but look at the base of the trees to find the bright new green growth.
During rain storm events, I find it better to hike and relax than trying to endure 100+ temps.  Ridiculous!   I am hoping we continue with the rain because it always means I get to go out and explore.
Yarrow's Spiny Lizard
But of course the humidity and heat, bring out all the colorful bugs and lizards in Southern Arizona. 
Willow Flycatcher
We also stopped back by Ramsey Canyon on the way home to do some more hummingbird/bear search but no luck.  It was a gorgeous evening here.
And of course the views aren't bad either:)
As the sun set, we walked the trails alone surrounded by butterflies, deer and lots of birds.
Best time to go hiking is after a gentle rain event.  Always keep an eye open at the washes.  NEVER cross them during a rainstorm.  If there is a lot of lightening, do not hike.  But when things have calmed down, it's really a great time to get out and enjoy the rain cooled air. And the answer to my favorite bird home.  Option 13.  The Muy Mexicano or blue and white tile home.  Thanks everyone for chirping in your comments.  That was fun:) More tomorrow....

21 comments:

  1. Oh Kreesh, i had difficulty finding the blue wasp's dinner. Then i saw it, bigger than himself. Actually i love its color, haven't seen something like that here. And that stump probably embraced to death by that vine, i love the eerie look! It showed a lot of biography, drama while it still lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rather glad you didn't find any bears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    your Flycatcher is very similar to our Spotted Flycatcher,

    Turned very warm and humid here now, hard to walk out in the sun its so hot, :-) I'll not complain too loudly though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these photos, although the beautiful brilliant blue colour of the wasp reminds me painfully of the two times I was stung by an ant-like creature that colour that is really a wasp. I agree - hiking in the heat is hard. I once went to Borneo, and found Lonely Planet's description to be accurate: like hiking in a sauna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice place to hike, not in the rain. Great bug sightings. Looks to be too rainy to hike here today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new growth is such a ho[eful sight and it looks like a perfect place to look for six-legged critters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see such colourful insects and the Queen butterfly is stunning. Heartening too to hear how there is fresh growth after last year's fires.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the firecracker bush - and the queen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wasp picture is absolutely the best. I am not a fan, I don't react well to wasp stings, but this wasp is such an amazing blue colour. Hope you get some cooler weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little mud dauper guy. I wonder if he knows how pretty he is. Humidity is not my cup of tea. I won't visit my daughter in Wash. DC because of that. Phoenix is cool to that place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blue on the mud dauper. You got some really wonderful shots. Glad you were able to get out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Blue Mud Dauber is a great find, I have never seen anything like it before.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen a blue mud dauber before and I really hope I don't.lol
    The photos are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos and very interesting description of how the vegetation grows back after a fire. That seems very similar to what happens in Australia after a fire has gone through the bush.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic. Well done Chris for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let me get this straight: you've been hunting bear?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh that blue mud dauber is an electric blue! You have some great shots, and I agree going walking after a shower of rain is the best time. The air seems fresher, and the rain washes any dust way - making the colors brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some great shots. What a great walk!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Chris, Well---even when things don't work out as intended, we can always find beauty in nature. We hiked in the Smokies yesterday --and even though it was hot and humid (and we didn't last out there as long as we had hoped), we still had a good time!

    Have a great Wednesday.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh the Blue Mud Dauber looks like he's tackling something bigger than himself for dinner there! I recognize the Firecracker bush we have them here also, and the sight of the bush after a fire is very familiar also. I would see kangaroos instead of deers though! I enjoyed the walk you took us on Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What would you have done had you found a bear? :) I'm glad you're finding time to get out and do some hiking. Way too hot down here in the Valley...or rather I guess we're "up" here in the Valley from you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!