Saturday, May 7, 2016

Spring Fling

Gambel's Quail-male
The beauty that comes from both nature and birds is so exciting for me.  It inspires art.

Lazuli Bunting
This was a lazy outing after several hikes.  I popped open a bag of my favorite cheesy ruffled potato chips and sat on the ground near the feeders and watched the bird show for over an hour.  The indigo blues of the migrating Lazuli Buntings mesmerized!



It's that time of year in the desert when many of our "flashier" and "colorful" birds return to Arizona.  Our wildflower and cacti show also delights with its subtle yet bright colors.

Globemallow
Birds actively collect nesting material OR feed their young. 

nesting male Black-capped Gnatcatcher
The birds are very vocal.  Take for example this nesting Black-capped Gnatcatcher(above) and Northern Beardless Tyrannulet(below).  While on the trails, they could be heard rather easily as they noisily flew from one bush to the other.

Northern Beardless Tyrannulet
It's an amazing time of year for so many things.


As my work winds down, I prepare for bigger things.  Some nights, I just go birding alone to relax my mind. 

Lesser Nighthawk
Sometimes, it's about studying several birds better that I don't always get to see.  The Vaux's Swifts are a first for my photo collection at Las Aventuras.  Swifts are difficult to get on camera.  The sun was setting quickly and I had a few moments to get these next two shots.

Vaux's Swift-the cigar with wings
Sometimes, like in this case here, you get one shot.  As the sun was setting, I knew I had just a minute to get these birds on camera.  Observation time for this bird was less than a minute!!  I watched the skies for 45 minutes observing hundreds of swallows buzz around quickly.  During this time, I was searching for a different flight pattern to help me lock onto at least one bird.


Then I saw something that looked like a bat flying but as it banked to the side, I knew I had my swift.


As the sun set, I planned for the next day. 

Green-tailed Towhee
It's always fun to go somewhere new and look for wonderful birds.

Lark Sparrow
Because during spring migration, anything and everything is possible!  You can find lots of exciting birds in your local parks, at your work site, etc. 

Dusky-capped Flycatcher
For all you Eastern birders, why aren't you checking out those trees for those amazing migrating warblers? It's May my friends:) Get ready!  They are about to come through your area if they haven't started already!  For me?  Well, I'm keeping my eyes open down here for something rare:)  Until next time.....

Prickly Pear Cactus

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic array of lovely birds in this post and my favourites would be the quail and the Bunting. Also loved the flower close ups. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of colour and variety Chris. The temperature is slowly ramping up over here so I'll certainly be doing a lot more lazy birding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful series of images ..Happy Sunday ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful post and photos Chris - so full of colour. I love this time of year with all the Spring flowers, summer birds and butterflies appearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, beautiful birds, flowers and photos. I would love to see the Lazuli Bunting, it is beautiful. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super post, Chris! What a fabulous bird that male Lazuli Bunting is!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, colorful post, Chris! Spoiled with all these beauties, aren't we??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been spellbound by the Lazuli Buntings also Chris they are the sweetest creatures and my favourite of all colours. You bird images are always such a joy to see, it's only since following here that I've seen so many amazing birds.. you do the leg work and we get to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos as always! Those Lazuli Buntings are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been missing a lot of your posts! Just haven't been by your blog lately...seeing you on facebook has been awesome, for a quick fix, but I am missing the banquet you always serve! Wonderful photos! I love this time of year! Your cactus flowers are so beautiful, and your birds are such a delight. As always, your photography is wonderful! I promise I will follow you faithfully after the move. I am missing so many wonderful birds by being cooped up! At least I have you to do most of my birding for me. :-) (That's awful, I know!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!